The fluctuating weather in Long Beach can mean a host of things, from the changing seasons to turning off the switch of your air conditioner for the colder months. Of course, complete home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like helping us out. That doesn’t mean that you’re automatically destined for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner stops working or you notice it acting strangely, there are four things you can check on before calling in the experts at YES R&M Inc. for AC repair. Here are four troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a shout.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the most basic checks that homeowners can do independently, and might solve the issue more than they’d like to admit. Make sure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Programmed to be around room temperature
- Utilizing a fresh battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act erratically, making them shut down without notice and without making a noise. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for many AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can swap it out yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter decreases your system’s efficiency and reduces airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
Nearly all of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Close to the air conditioner itself and usually look like your regular light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Pinpoint the breaker that controls your air conditioner and find out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then re-set it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A typical error among homeowners is to close vents in unoccupied rooms, but this could actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents may potentially cause your system to be less efficient and stop working because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve tried these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back up and running, it’s probably time to give us a call. The experts at YES R&M Inc. in Long Beach are here to ensure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 562-286-6624 to set up an appointment with us.