Keeping your Long Beach house cozy can eat up a big chunk of change. The usual household spends about $172 on monthly heating and cooling bills, according to ENERGY STAR®, or around $2,060 annually. At least half of that is for heating and cooling.
Most homes use programmable thermostats, but many people don’t take the time to program them. The process is annoying, involved and only offers you a couple of options for temperature changes. When your house stays at an unchanging setting throughout the day, it consumes gas and electricity and badly affects your monthly expenses.
Smart thermostats adjust to your schedule and change the temp to accompany it. But can installing one really conserve money on heating and cooling? Yes, and here’s why.
Studies Show Smart Thermostats Reduce on Energy Costs
Independent studies show these devices can result in big savings.
These studies used home heating and cooling bills in 41 states before and after putting in a Nest smart thermostat. Nest said the study showed its thermostats can save up to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling, resulting in an average savings of $131 to $145 annually.
With the typical smart thermostat priced between $100–$250, those savings can help it pay for itself. And many local energy companies have rebates for smart thermostats since they’re ENERGY STAR® certified.
How Does a Smart Thermostat Work?
After your smart thermostat is put in, you’ll first use it just like your old thermostat. You’ll turn it up and down, so the thermostat can determine your wants. Then, it will get to work making a program that helps you save money, whether you’re at your residence or away. As it geofences with your smartphone, you won’t have to put it on your list to adjust it when you leave or come home.
Pros and Cons of Getting a Smart Thermostat
As we covered previously, smart thermostats provide many advantages to your home and utility expenses, like:
- No need to program—Your smart thermostat will pick up on your activities, so you won’t be required to use up time using programs or remember to adjust it.
- Knows when you arrive and take off—Since many smart thermostats geofence with your phone, your residence will be put into an energy-efficient setting when you go and be comfortable when you arrive.
- Remote temperature supervision—You’ll be able to keep an eye on your residence’s temp from virtually any location, due to an app on your phone.
- Watch heating and cooling use—The majority of smart thermostats provide valuable data through their app, such as how long you used heating and cooling on a certain day.
- Reminders—Select smart thermostats will let you know about critical maintenance tasks, such as when you’re due to put in a new air filter.
- Added savings—Most local energy companies have rebates for smart thermostats, so call with yours for details.
In spite of that, there’s a few points you should consider when considering installing a smart thermostat in your residence:
- Compatibility—Subject to the type and age of your heating and cooling system, a smart thermostat might not function with it. If you’re unsure, it’s best to ask an HVAC specialist like YES R&M Inc.. We also recommend having it professionally installed. This guarantees that you have the proper number of wires and that it’s connected accurately. Some systems don’t come with a common wire, which leads to compatibility problems with a smart thermostat. This wire energizes your thermostat, so if your house doesn’t have a C-wire, we can add one.
- Housing situation—If you own your home and want to reside there for a long time, it’s a smart investment to install a smart thermostat. If you’re thinking about moving shortly or rent, we suggest delaying unless you want to take the thermostat with you. If you rent, you’ll typically need to get your landlord’s permission first prior to putting in a new thermostat.
- Cost—Smart thermostats are more expensive than programmable thermostats, and we suggest having yours professionally installed. However, the energy savings over time can help pay for itself.
- Lifestyle—Does a family member work from home, or is someone often at the house? If that’s your situation, you might not see as many savings, but you’ll enjoy the benefits of not having to program or adjust a thermostat.
Depend on YES R&M Inc. for Your Smart Thermostat Needs
At YES R&M Inc., our top purpose is to keep your home cozy while helping you spend less utility bills. If you’re wanting to install a smart thermostat, our professionals can help, from choosing the ideal model to expert installation. Call us at 562-286-6624 today to learn more.