With proper maintenance, your air conditioner can run for 15 years or greater. But even the best maintained air conditioner will need to be replaced down the road.
When you’re beginning to plan for air conditioning installation in Long Beach, we are aware that cost is at the top of your list of questions. The silver lining is that installing a new air conditioner could be more reasonable than you think it is, due to rebates, our special offers and financing for qualified customers. You’ll also receive improved energy efficiency, which will likely pay off over the years through cheaper electrical bills.
Here’s what to anticipate when you’re replacing your air conditioner.
When to Replace Your Air Conditioner
Knowing when to repair or replace your air conditioner can be tricky. Here’s what our professionals recommend.
- Your air conditioner is more than 10 years old. While some may last longer, many air conditioners run for around 15 years with routine maintenance. We recommend planning for air conditioning replacement close to the 10-year mark. Even if you get a new one when it’s only a decade old, the U.S. Department of Energy says this change could save you 20-40% on cooling expenses.
- You’ve neglected annual maintenance for a long time. Similar to a car, you cooling system requires annual air conditioning maintenance. Skipping this important service can lead to reduced efficiency, more recurring repairs and even a reduced life span.
- Your air conditioner needs frequent or pricey repairs. Needing air conditioning repair is frequently the result of skipping service. But as your air conditioner gets old, it’s more likely to have a catastrophic malfunction. When repairs are more than half the cost of a new air conditioner, you should get a new one.
- Your residence feels unpleasant. If your house feels too humid or you’re having hot and cold spots in given rooms, your air conditioner may be struggling to keep up. This is a clue you need to replace it.
- Your cooling bills are costly. Your air conditioner becomes less efficient as it gets older. As a result, it could need to work more frequently or longer to keep your home at your desired temperature. Newer air conditioners have the top energy-efficient technology to keep your house comfy and electrical bills low.
- Your air conditioner uses R-22 refrigerant. If your air conditioner was replaced before 2010, there’s a decent chance it runs on Freon. Also known as R-22, this refrigerant is no longer being made as a result of its bad effects on the environment. You can continue to use your air conditioner, but if it were to experience a refrigerant leak, solving that would be very expensive. This is because R-22 is only available in limited, recycled amounts.
- Your air conditioner is no more than 10 years old. If your air conditioner is newer, it’s smartest to repair it.
- Repairs aren’t needed all the time or reasonable. The wisest way to stop emergency repairs is to have regular work done. But when repairs are only needed every so often or are inexpensive, repair your air conditioner.
- Your air conditioner is under warranty. Most air conditioners include a 5- to 10-year limited warranty that usually covers the compressor. Your exact warranty length is up to your manufacturer, but it gives valuable protection in the event of a big failure. If your air conditioner is covered by warranty, we recommend fixing it.
Air Conditioner Cost
The majority of homeowners spend around $4,631 on a new air conditioner, according to national averages compiled by HomeGuide. Air conditioner cost averages often range from $3,350 to $5,912, but your precise cost may be different.
There are a couple of details that affect your total cost, including:
- The air conditioner model you select, as more energy-efficient ones are pricier.
- The size you need.
- If you need to replace your ductwork, which can be needed if your ductwork is aging or inefficient.
We offer free estimates at YES R&M Inc. so you can be sure you’re getting a fantastic deal. And with our wide range of air conditioners, there’s an energy-efficient model that accommodates just about any budget.
Air Conditioner Size
Air conditioner size is essential. A system that’s undersized won’t be able to keep your residence cool. And one that’s oversized might turn on and off too many times, or short cycle. This action can increase your energy costs and wear your air conditioner out faster. This may also create temperature inconsistencies and make your house feel less comfy.
At YES R&M Inc., our professionals have many years of experience in correctly sizing and installing the right air conditioner for your residence. The right size depends on how big your residence is, along with a couple other things. Some of the most typical sizes include:
- 2 ton, which cools up to 1,000 square feet
- 3 ton, which cools up to 1,600 square feet
- 4 ton, which cools up to 1,900 square feet
- 5 ton, which cools more than 2,000 square feet
Other things that can impact air conditioner size are:
- The climate in Long Beach
- Ductwork quality and age
- How many windows you have and the style, since large or picture windows might be less efficient
- If your house has more sun or shade
- Insulation quality and depth
- How many people are in your family
Your air conditioner’s efficiency is linked to its SEER, or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. This ranking measures how proficiently it transforms electricity to create cooling. The higher the ranking, the more efficient the air conditioner is.
When you’re installing a new air conditioner, it’s crucial to be aware:
- Dated air conditioners are ranked around 8-9 SEER.
- Modern air conditioners start at 13 SEER. Ones installed in the southwest and southeast must be at least 14 SEER due to U.S. Department of Energy mandates. As of 2017, these SEER rating requirements have saved homeowners trillions of dollars.
- ENERGY STAR®-certified air conditioners begin at 14.5 SEER.
- Higher SEER-rated air conditioners come with more features to help you save more. These features may include variable-speed cooling. Instead of running at full speed continuously, these air conditioners can reduce blower speeds customized for your cooling requirements. This creates quieter and more energy-efficient cooling. While an air conditioner with a higher SEER rating is often more expensive, it may be eligible for more rebates. And the energy savings over its life span may help it pay for itself.
Start Your Air Conditioning Installation with YES R&M Inc. Right Away
When you’re researching air conditioning replacement, the company who installs it is just as essential as the model you choose. YES R&M Inc. is one of the most trusted names for air conditioning installation in Long Beach. From helping you select the right solution for your house to going over financing options to professional installation, working with us is a breeze. Call us at 562-286-6624 to start today!