Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask YES R&M Inc. in Long Beach about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at YES R&M Inc.. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at YES R&M Inc. about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Long Beach home clean and healthy. Give the experts at YES R&M Inc. a call at 562-286-6624.