As the temp rises, so does your air conditioning bills. To keep your AC expenses controlled you might be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Long Beach?
It’s a popular belief that turning your AC on and off [[throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually a myth.
Keeping your air conditioner going all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re away, and turning it back down when you get back. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do the work for you.
It’s far more work for your system to achieve a constant temperature throughout the day. It can also result in a lot of strain on your equipment, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it may also lead to a reduced life span for your AC unit.
No matter what, the larger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the more your AC bills will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your energy bills lower in the hot weather? Here are our tips based upon recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Methods to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat. The DOE affirms that you can spend up to 10% less annually on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away at work. During the summer, it’s advised to set your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re elsewhere. It’s equally as important to forgo setting your thermostat to a cooler setting than average when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool your home any faster, it just causes more expensive energy bills. While these temperatures could seem high, there are additional ways to keep comfortable without having to consistently run the AC unit.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says turning up the thermostat by only 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lower air conditioning costs by up to 14% over the course of the warmer months. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Also, keeping blinds low and curtains drawn throughout the day helps keep conditioned air inside. There are also some window solutions meant to deliver additional insulation and improve energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks all across a residence allow for cooler air to easily slip out and warmer air to get in. This may result in your AC having to work harder to keep your home cooler and your energy expenses to increase. Make sure that any cracks, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple solutions for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Plan for Annual Tune-Ups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your AC is always functioning at its best. This allows our professionals to locate simple issues before they turn into major troubles. A clean AC is usually more efficient and might even run longer.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest approaches to ensure comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat automatically changes the temperature based on your day-to-day schedule. It works along with your smartphone to notice when you’re home or out to enhance your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 annually on heating and cooling expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your AC Unit. You can foresee a sufficiently taken care of air conditioner to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently contacting us for air conditioning repair or your utility costs are climbing with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for an upgrade. We supply a number of energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Enhance Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with YES R&M Inc.
No one wants to see their utility bill climb during the summer season. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy use and bills lower this summer, our pros can help. Give us a call at 562-286-6624 or contact us online right away for extra details.