As you prepare for your annual air conditioner service over the next few months, take a second to consider adding up the amount that you spend on heating and cooling annually. Then, think about the last time you’ve walked around and checked for leaky doors and windows. It’s something that almost all homes have to put up with, but there is a significant portion of money finding its way between the cracks, going out the window – literally.
However, most of the cracks and leaks can be easily sealed on your own, helping you save money all year. Plus, it can help you increase the bonuses of your annual air conditioner service too, helping you potentially preserve more cool air while helping to improve energy efficiency and your comfort.
So where should you search for those irritating leaks?
Attics are known for allowing the most air out of your home, so check these specific areas while up in your attic:
- Stud cavities around your home can be open, or uninsulated, meaning air can easily leak out, leaving you with a less-than-comfortable home and greatly impacting your energy efficiency as well. If you want to get the most out of your annual air conditioner service, make sure you fill these gaps to better insulate your home.
- Recessed lights usually have vents that open in to the attic, which leaves the door open for cool air loss. Make sure your lights come already sealed or add an airtight baffle to handle the concern on unsealed lights.
- Attic access doors typically aren’t thought of when you replace or install weatherstripping to other windows or doors around your house but can let quite a bit of cool air enter in to your attic.
All house openings.
Windows and doors are usually the key culprits for losing cool air, and rightfully so.
- Check to make sure the weatherstripping on all of your doors is in working order and hasn’t been cracked or torn. If it is, replace it.
- View the border of all of your home’s windows, both in and outdoor, inspecting the caulking. It’s easy to use a caulking gun to plug any gaps you notice.
- If your home has a chimney, make sure any gaps around the flue or chimney itself are properly covered with aluminum flashing to prevent air flow.
The variety of ways you can get the most out of your annual air conditioner service dollars is pretty long, but if you take a little time to tackle the list we’ve outlined, you can potentially make your home more efficient and more comfortable. If you have any questions about these pointers or are just looking to set up air conditioner service, give YES R&M Inc. a call at 562-286-6624 or schedule an appointment online.