Summer weather in Long Beach can be rough. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve assembled some tips to help you out.
The greatest thing you can do to stay cool and ensure energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and YES R&M Inc. can assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifespan for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to work longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure accurate and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure proper system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is consistently inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter could raise energy bills and damage your equipment, leading to untimely failure. Our YES R&M Inc. pros will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let nature cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you routinely would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people seem to forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give YES R&M Inc. at call at 562-286-6624 or request an appointment with us online.